Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Parent Trap

I've gotten a lot of questions lately about how my three year old is doing with our separation. To be honest I've been amazed at her lack of questions and her ability to just go with the flow.
She doesn't seem to think it's odd that I call our old house "daddy's house" our old car "daddy's car". I've asked her a couple times if she has any questions she wants to ask me. I ask her how she feels about having only daddy OR mommy nights, no more daddy AND mommy nights.
She always tells me she doesn't have any questions, things are fine. I honestly believe her because I can see how much happier and less needy she acts. So I don't really worry. Maybe she's just like her mom and has some gene that lets her take it as it comes.

Or maybe she's just three, and doesn't read too much into anything.

In any case, we were driving home tonight and Esme said "Mama I wrote you a note on the window"
"What does it say?"
"It says,
'Dear love mama and daddy.
This is so your hearts can grow.
I love you.
Esme' That's what is says"
"What does that mean?"
"I don't know, it's just a note that I wrote you. It's just for you."

Then later tonight her dad called to say good night. Esme answered the phone, talked to him, then brought me the phone.
"Hello" I said, "is it my turn?"
"I don't know, Esme said good night and handed me off"
"I know she just handed you to me? So...how are you?"
And off we went forced into a conversation.

So I'm thinking we may not so much have a little Shirley Temple on our hands as we have a Hayley Mills, right here under our own roofs!

No comments:

Post a Comment